I love #GamblingTwitter and the daily information and entertainment that comes with it. So, in the spirit of the new year, I’ve climbed onto my high horse to come up with new year’s resolutions for the rest of you degenerates in an attempt to further improve it.
2019 Gambling Twitter New Year’s Resolutions:
1. Don't respond to another person’s pick with "hate that play/no chance/’shoveling money into fire GIF’.” This creates no dialogue and is the kind of shit talking you can save for the guys in your frat’s fantasy football league. If someone has made a god awful pick at least have the courtesy to explain to them why you hate it (before the play starts, please. Hindsight on a losing play is even worse).
2. Don't get creepy with random women on Twitter. This is some of the most cringe-worthy stuff you can see. I’ve heard a lot of stories of how couples met but have yet to run into the classic “I was a beat reporter for the Bengals and he responded to a tweet about Andy Dalton with ‘I’d give you *MY* Red Rocket,’ and here we are, happily married.” Maybe rub one out before you post the comment, and then see if you think it’s still a good idea after you’ve gotten the poison out.
3. If you’re going to post picks, throw some prices on your plays. There’s a big difference between -130 and -110 over the long haul. In fact, tell me where you bet it. Not only adds some accountability, but you might help someone who follows you find a better book. If you actually made the bet, this isn’t hard to come by information.
4. If you haven't already, have a separate handle for this life. It sucked to set up and getting all the accounts followed again took a bit, but it’s worth it in the long run. Your non-gambler friends aren't interested in you RTing someone's NBA props for the early slate.
5. Don't argue with the math guys. They are almost always correct and can show their work. They always know when you should go for two, when to forgo the punt, and how fucking clueless the head coach is. You have a girlfriend/wife/social skills, let them at least have this.
6. Post pictures of your dog, stuff you grilled/smoked, and whatever you grabbed from the liquor store that day. I’m not being sarcastic! I like this sort of stuff, it’s a nice change of pace from bitching about college kickers, missed free throws and shitty middle relievers.
Most importantly, have a very happy new year and best of luck in all your endeavors in 2019!